Byzantine Era Mosque of the Lower Fountain
Built in 1759 by the Turkish governor of Athens, Jisdaraki, as is confirmed by the inscription above the entrance. According to tradition, Jisdaraki, wanting to make good quality lime in order to build the mosque, took a marble column from the temple of Olympian Zeus (Olypieion) or more likely from the Library of Hadrian close by. Nowadays the mosque houses a rich collection of pottery of the museum of Folk Art. The ancient columns are of Hadrians Library.