Harry's Greece Travel Guide
Your Hotel Rights and how to Enforce them
The Hellenic Chamber of Hotels was founded in 1935 and is the official state consultant concerning issues of tourism. All the hotels operating legally in Greece are members of the Hellenic Chamber of Hotels which compromises more than 8,200 hotels in actual operation. It is also a member of the National Union of Hotels Confederation of the countries members of the European Union (Hotrec).
The Chamber of Hotels: studies, suggests and applies every measure that contributes to the development and welfare of the Greek hotels industry and provides its members with consulting support about economical, social and legal issues. It publishes and distributes free to all its members the informative monthly magazine "XENIA". participates in International Tourist Exhibitions. It makes reservations in all the hotels of the country. The Hellenic Chamber of Hotels is at your entire disposal for any further information you may require concerning the hotels throughout Greece. 24, Stadiou St. 105 64 Athens, Greece. tel: 3310022 - 6 fax: 3225449 - 3236962
The Tourist Police is a Service of the Greek Police Force staffed with specially trained, foreign-language speaking personnel. Within the framework of its duties and functions, it provides the following services:
- It provides information to Greek and foreign visitors and offers them assistance in settling any issues arising with tourist businesses.
- It cooperates with locally competent Directorates of Tourism and local authorities in order to deal with tourism issues.
- It ensures that the tourist legislation in force is applied in all tourist areas, businesses and media, such as hotels, apartments and rooms to let, tourist shops, tourist agencies and coaches, car and motorcycle rental agencies, archaeological sites, tourist guides, ski resorts, spa towns, mass arrival/departure stations, sanitary facilities operating in tourist businesses and sites of free camping, etc.
- It carries out inspections of tourist businesses with the aim to provide better services and higher protection to visitors. The distinctive insignia of the Greek Tourist Police officers are the following:
- White band on the cap
- White belt
- White gloves
- The distinctive insignia "TOURIST POLICE" worn on the front of the shirt.
- The Greek Tourist Police can be reached around-the-clock by dialing "171".
- This line provides all kind of information and instructions in Greek, English, French and German, thus helping tourists to deal directly with any arising problem.
- In case you need any help, do not hesitate to contact the staff members of the Greek Tourist Police by dialing "171".
Thats the official party line folks so if you have a complaint about a hotel or a taxi driver or anything at all the toursit police are the people to call. They are everywhere too especially during the summer!