The area called Spiantza in the northeastern part of Hania, is one of the appealing neighborhoods in the city, with carved wooden balconies, restored kalderimia (cobbled streets), churches and minarets. The church of Aghios Nikolaos in Platia 1821, includes a minaret (albeit missing its top) in its structure, having gone through several lives from Venetian church to mosque and back to church again. The date for which the platia is named, though also the year that the Greek War of Independence began in the Peloponisos (Pelopponese), has to do with a large rebellion against Turkish rule and the hanging of an Orthodox bishop afterward. Two other interesting churches are San Rocco and Ayii Anargyri , the latter housing some ancient icons. (Click to see larger version of map right)
The Inner Harbor has had some face-lifts in recent years and has become attractive to visitors. Two of the 16th century Venetian arsenals here have been restored, and parts of the old bastions remain. The boats moored here-fishing boats and yachts-- give a pleasant ambience to this part of town.