Phrases Page 4
Greek Numbers in Translation
|1 = Ena||20 = Ikosi||90 = Eneninda|
|2 = Dio||21 = IkosiEna and so on||91 = EnenindaEna and so on|
|3 = Tria||30 = Trianda||100 = Ekato|
|4 = Tesera||31 = TriandaEna and so on||200 = Diakosia|
|5 = Pente||40 = Saranda||300 = Triakosia|
|6 = Exi||41 = SarandaEna and so on||400 = Tetrakosia|
|7 = Efta||50 = Peninda||500 = Pendakosia|
|8 = Okto||51 = PenindaEna and so on||600 = Exakosia|
|9 = Enia||60 = Exinda||700 = Eftakosia|
|10 = Deka||61 = ExindaEna and so on||800 = Oktakosia|
|11 = Endeka||70 = Evdominda||900 = Eniakosia|
|12 = Dodeka||71 = EvdomindaEna and so on||1,000 = Chilia|
|13 = DekaTria (Deka+Tria)||80 = Ogdonda||2,000 = Dio hill-yia-dez etc.|
|14 = DekaTesera (Deka+Tesera) etc.||81 = OgdondaEna and so on||1,000,000 = Ena Ekatomirio|
- Any number from 1 to 1,000,000 is always a combination of the above.
- When talking about prices the ending of the hundreds turns into -sies.
- For example 500 = Pendakosies.
- For more than a thousand you say the number plus the word hill-yia-dez.
- For example 5,000 = Pende hill-yia-dez.
- For more than a million you say the number plus the word Ekatomiria.
- For example 3,000,000 = Tria Ekatomiria, 200,000,000 = Diakosia (not Diakosies) Ekatomiria.
- Greek for Drachmas is Drachmes.
- If you would like to learn more Greek, all you have to do is visit Greece!!!! Greek should be relatively easy Europeans and English speaking people, since all Indo-European languages contain at least 35% Greek words. and if we take into consideration that Latin derived from Greek, then more than 70% of the words are of Greek origin. In the medical, scientific & technological world at least 85% is Greek. Therefore, with a little bit of effort and some determination, you should be able to speak basic Greek within a couple of months time!